The Phage Therapy Unit - Institute of Immunology & Experimental Therapy - Polish Academy of Sciences
The Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy was founded in 1952 by the Polish Academy of Sciences. The main founder and the first director of the Institute was Professor Ludwik Hirszfeld, a famous Polish immunologist and microbiologist.
Officially known as the "Ludwik Hirszhfeld Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw" we personally refer to this bacteriophage treatment center as The Wroclaw Phage Center..
Poland is one of the three countries who have studied and actively treated patients with Bacteriophages along with Russia and Georgia, for a very long time.
The Wroclaw Clinic is a little different in the way they operate and in some respects they have some fairly strict conditions for phage treatment:
- They, at last time of contact ONLY use autophages that is, phages that are tailor-developed for the bacteria present in the patient's samples as against OTC product available in Russia and Georgia
- They have strict rules regarding who they will accept for phage theraphy. Detailed history/documentation of the patient's infection need to be provided before any therapy starts.
- It has to be proved that all classical medical theraphy has failed (antibiotics).
- They are generally not interested in a patient sending samples first.
- Patients need to go there for an initial appointment with the urologist, who will take samples for tests and if results are positive, and documentation backs up long term unresolvable infection, they might be accepted for the "experimental threatment".
- If problems develop during treatment, they state that treatment will cease immediately. This could be a major problem where resistance is by then so high that no antibiotics exist as an alternative.
- SUMMARY: There appears to be a study/research component in their Bacteriophage treatment, so they are not outright commercial as perhaps other clinics are; especially from the point of view of requiring patients to "prove" phage treatment is their final option.
However, not being able to see.. if indeed they have phage available for your infection(s), by sending a sample in advance is a major drawback regarding costs.
It is possible that they do not have as large banks of available Bacteriophages as, say, the Eliava Institute.
Hirszfeld Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy,
Polish Academy of Sciences
The Center for Phage Therapy
Contact: , phone (+48 71) 3709901, fax (+48 71) 3372171
Considering travelling to Poland for treatment.and want to ask questions about this Clinic?, you can use this contact
If you have been to this clinic before and wish to leave a review (it would be posted without identifying you in any way, as long as we can verify who you are by return email), either use the contact form on this site, or post a Disqus comment below